First Switch

I did do some work on one of the switches earlier but today I installed both the outer and inner rails for a switch.  I cut some wood to replace some that was missing.  It does not look nice but I think it will be fine once it is covered with ballast.

Rabbit finished the curtains.  I was planning on working on the A/C wiring and trying to line up one side of the table.  Instead I cut some old wood to fit the gaps by the window and hung curtains.

I had to cut one of the rails so that it would fit in its old location.  I used wire cutters.  That brought the rail to a point.  I rubbed the end of the rail on concrete to flatten it a bit.  I scraped the ends with pliers so that there would not be a flange leftover from the ‘sanding’ that would catch the rail joiner.

All and all it went well.  The switch still needs a screw to be the pivot and it is hitting a little bit high on the frog so the test car derails going one way but not the other.

In a box of random track there was a piece of a switch that was 3 ties wide.  I cut 1 tie off of it to span the gap under the switch.  I pulled the spikes out of it.  The older spikes seem a bit larger than the ones I am using.  While the switch does need a little more work the rails for that side of the table are all in place now.

* WPG2 Plugin Not Validated ** WPG2 Plugin Not Validated ** WPG2 Plugin Not Validated ** WPG2 Plugin Not Validated ** WPG2 Plugin Not Validated ** WPG2 Plugin Not Validated ** WPG2 Plugin Not Validated *

This entry was posted in Train Day. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply